William ‘Balthazar’ Huber was born on 11 July 1851 in Giswil, Kanton Obwalden, Switzerland. His parents were Felix and Franziska Zurmuhle. His Godparents were Balthazar Huber and Josefa Huber (his Father’s brother and sister). He married Helena Fredericka Halter on 10 April 1882. She was born on 11 March 1862 in Newark, NJ and was the daughter of Henry ‘Wilhelm’ Halter and Regina Huff. He, like his father, was an ice dealer in Newark, NJ. Helena died on 16 March 1938 in Newark, NJ and William died on 3 Oct 1927 in Newark,NJ. He died on accident on ice wagon. He was at rear of wagon and someone pulled on the horses reins in the front. They moved and William was thrown off the back of the wagon to the pavement. He died a few days later of internal injuries. They are buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in Hillside, NJ (graves near 10th street).
Houses lived in:
In 1890, the family was living at 272 Springfield Ave., Newark, Essex County, New Jersey.
In 1900, the family was living at 271 Belmont Ave., Newark, Essex County, New Jersey.
In 1910, the family was living at 215 Pesline Avenue, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey.
In 1920, the family was living at 267 Jelliff Avenue, Newark, Essex County, New Jersey.
In 1930, the family was living at 133 Franklin Street, Hillside, Union County, New Jersey.
William ‘Balthazar’ Huber
William ‘Balthazar’ Huber with his sister Rosalie Huber and brother Arnold Huber in 1881 in Saaren, Switzerland after the death of their mother.
William ‘Balthazar’ and Arnold Huber with what I believe are their cousins. Taken at the same time as the picture above.
Helena Fredericka Halter Huber
William Huber’s passenger records and census records for 1880 are on his parents page. Helena’s census records until 1895 are on her parent’s page.
1895- NJ state census record doesn’t show much, but it does show William Huber, Lena Huber, and their children William Huber, Louis Huber, Lena Huber, Matilda ‘Tillie’ Huber, and Ruth Huber.
1900- William Huber is 45 and an ice dealer, Helena is 38, William is 16, Louis is 15, Lena is 13, Matilda ‘Tillie’ is 10, Ruth is 7, and Rosie is 2.
1910- William Huber is 57 and isn’t working. Helena is 45. Matilda is 20, Ruth is 18, Rose is 12, Carrie is 8. They are living next door to their daughter Lena who is 23 and her husband Harry W. Streep who is 25, and their son Harry Streep.
1920- William is 67 and an ice dealer. Lena is listed as 57. Living with them are their daughter Ruth who is 26, her husband Edward Walters who is 29 and their son Edward.
1930- Lena Huber is 68. She is living with her daughter Rose (who is 31) and her husband Roscoe Mullican (who is 29) and children Wilma Mullican who is 11, Roscoe Jr. who is 9 and William who is 4. They are living next to Lena’s son William Huber (who is 46) and his family Annie Huber (who is 45), Living, Julia Huber (who is 14), and Living.
William Balthazar Obituary
Huber- On Tuesday, October 18, 1927, William Huber, aged 75 years, beloved husband of Lena Huber (nee Holder [HALTER]). Relatives and friends are invited to attend funeral serviced on Friday afternoon, October 21, at 2 o’clock, at his residence, 133 Minnehaha avenue, Hillside, N.J. Interment in Woodland Cemetery.
William ‘Balthazar’ Huber and Helena Fredericka Halter had 9 children:
1. William Huber Jr. (6 March 1884- 11 November 1969) married Annie Garrigan and had 7 children, (William Joseph Huber, Fredrick Huber, Henry Huber, Edwin Huber, Living Huber, Julia Huber and Living Huber)
2. Louis Huber (23 May 1885- 29 March 1959) married Fannie Donahue and had 3 children (Louis Lawrence II Huber, Margaret Huber, and William James Huber)
3. Helena Huber (16 November 1886-9 May 1983) married Harry Streep and had one child (Harry Streep Jr.)
4. Matilda ‘Tillie’ Huber (19 March 1890-11 April 1985) married Charles Bausewein and had 2 children (Charles Harry Bausewein and Helen Matilda Bausewein)
5. Ruth Huber (Feb 1892-1932) married Edward Walters and had two children (Edward Joseph Walters and Harry Walters)
6. Rose Huber (2 August 1898-21 January 1983) married Roscoe Irvin Mullican and had 4 children (Wilhelmina Gertrude Mullican, Roscoe Irvin Mullican Jr, William Ruth Mullican, and Leroy Melvin Carl Mullican)
7. Caroline “Carrie” Huber (22 Febuary 1902-19 August 1919)
8. Henry Huber (died at birth) Twin of Mamie
9. Mamie Huber (died at birth) Twin of Henry